5-6-19 update

Finally, the first grass cutting of the 2019 season took place at the RCCD field on Sunday (5-5-16) starting at approx. 2:00 pm.

Mike S., Dave B., Pete M., had previously met at the tractor storage area trying to prep the tractor for the seasonal use. On our last visit, were able to change the oil, the oil filter, inspect the tractor, inspect the cutting blades, test run the engine and move the tractor forward about six feet to get it out of the bog area is was stored in. We did all this prep work in about 2”of water.

We continued to monitor the weather and the field condition and on Sunday Mike S. finally was able to move the tractor to the the field. At the field, we then lubed the tractor and the mower deck. At this time we decided that Dave B. and Pete M., would go through the operating instruction given by Mike S. and practice cutting the grass starting with the U control area, out of the way of the club members flying on the main field.

The practice went well in the U control area and we found that the grass was growing at a rate that we had to make our first cut on the main flying field. It was an impromptu decision to cut as much of the flying field possible without getting into the total deep water areas. The members flying there were gracious enough to wait til we were done cutting.

All three of us took turns at the wheel, with Mike S. doing the final edging with the tractor. Keep in mind, this is the first cut of the season and areas of the grass was wet causing clumping of the grass clippings. On the next cutting these issues should subside if we can get on a regular cutting schedule…..but the rainy weather is still unpredictable.

The rolling of the field will have to wait until the soil is a little firmer. The next time we have the tractor at the field we will fill the roller with water pumped from the drainage ditch using the water pump powered by the tractor’s PTO.

While one of us was cutting the other two were doing some of the spring prep work. There was a clean porta john delivered by a new company arranged by Bruce Thoms and that company had up-righted the old porta john (still needs a cleaning) next to the new one. A sign that was previously made and fastened to the door along with a hasp and a new lock securing the old porta john from being used. Both are sitting side by side on the right side of the entrance to the U control area.

The last fence post at the East end of the flight line was repaired and the wind sock pole was heated and straightened.

Actual measurements were taken from the tractor and a comparison was made to the measurements taken in the shed. It was found that the tractor will fit in the shed without the mower deck attached and the front bucket either removed or raised above the work bench. This required the total clearing out of all the old and not used equipment and junk from the shed. It also requires the area behind the shed where the implements would be chained, tethered and stored to be filled and leveled and the area in front of the shed should be filled in to the level of the road.

photos by Mike S and Dave B

AND THE RAIN CONTINUES!!!