The Radio Control Club of Detroit

An AMA Gold Leader Club
AMA Chapter # 368
An AMA Charter Club Since 1953
IMAA Chapter #206

Schedule

Join RCCD

Events Only

News Archive

Contact RCCD


RCCD 2011 Scratch Build Project - Noel Hunt Iceman

Project Home
Instructions
Tips
Plans & Drawings
Wood & Hardware
Member project pics
Contacts

 

 

Name: RUSTIK or
ДАС AГЛИ СТИК

............(DAS UGLY STIK
in Russian (Cyrillic) characters)

Engine: Various - for engine break-in & test bed
Starting with a twin-engine layout.
(2 Norvel .40s)
Radio: Futaba 10C, using 8 channels
Battery: A-123
Wing Span: 70 "
Final Weight: - 7 1/2 LBS (twin configuration)

Significant mod's:
Optional single or twin engine
Moved the Horizontal stab 1" rearward
Moved the vertical stab 2" rearward
Sheeted frame horizontal and vertical stabilizers
Flaps
Tail dragger
Pull-pull rudder

04/24/11: Maiden flight. No trim required - none - nothing - zilch - on the RUSTIK's maiden today. It flew really well and now has 4 flights under its wings. Plenty of power (It can hang on its prop's then climb out from the hover.)

Thanks again Quad Squad.

Receiver, rudder servo & battery in wing opening. Battery can be mounted in rear fus' hatch if required, for balance with other power options.
.

With covering complete, it's time to install the radio. Wing has 6 servo leads! (2 aileron; 2 flap; 2 throttle)
All servo extensions are secured with shrink tubing or thread.

Then the rest of the insignia and trim is added.

Top stars were made off the wing then applied once complete

Covering of the fuselage starts with the fillers around the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Then work forwards and up to end up with the best shingle effect.

The lower stars are made from 1/4" white strip around a paper mask. Good use for credit card solicitations! Slide a card under the Monokote trim before sealing it and trim with #11 blade.

4/18/11: The covering is complete. Here are some pictures of the process.

Starting with the lower wing surface and from the TE.

Add the white to the LE and white ailerons & flaps.

Then top surface in white first then gray forward area

 

3/29/11: OK - so this is the light-weight, removable nose I concocted. It can be replaced by a firewall and engine if I want to test a single engine or motor. I have also made the battery/elevator servo hatch in the fuselage. The plane is ready for covering as soon as I figure out a color scheme.

03/08/11: The fuselage build is moving along. Next is figuring out a "nose job" and then just how I want to install the rudder & elevator servos, battery and receiver to end up with reasonable balance point (25% to 30%). Looks like I need to install everything I can, towards the tail so it won't wind up nose-heavy.

Weight at this point is 6.5 lbs with everything but the nose, linkages and covering. I guess at a final weight of about 7.5lbs, so a wing loading of 17.6 oz per sq ft. Not light, but not heavy either. It is a twin .40, so reasonable I guess. One article I read about twins suggested the twin will be 2.5 to 4 lbs heavier than the equivalent single in a 46 to 60 size plane. I sure hope this does not end up being 4 lbs heavier than the original Quad Squad Ugly Briks!

Building up the elevator & sanding to shape

The fin frame (above) & rudder (below)

Lite ply fuselage doublers laminated to 1/8" sides

Dry-fitting to make sure it goes together ........

....... then glue now & forever hold the pieces!

 


Temporarily placed the components for an early balance point check. Looks like a tendency to be nose-heavy, but it will be close with the battery in a hatch in the rear of the fuselage.

<---- Starts to look like a plane

02/20/11: With the wing servo hatches done, all the wing needs now are servos attached and control surfaces hinged.

 

02/20/11: Time to work on the nacelles:

02/12/11: Wing planking is done - except underside center section, which will be completed after the nacelles are figured out.

 

I liked the idea that Lightning and Bottoms Up had to use polyurethane glue. Although the ooze-out is unsightly, it does fill voids and seems less of an impact on one's breathing. It also give me more set-up time than CA.

I still use some CA, epoxy, and Elmer's wood glue in some areas. The wing tips are installed using wood glue.

02/06/11: All shear webbing installed on main spar and front aux' spar which only goes out to the nacelle bays. Aux spars are 1/8 x 1/4 hardwood. They will help spread the engine load, especially on (hard) landings.

01/24/11: Built-up horizontal stab' .1/16" sheeting over 3/16" frame (5/16" total)

1/22/11: I have decided to build the wing for a twin engine option. The nacelles will contain the engines, fuel tanks and throttle servos and be removable. Center rib spacing is altered so the nacelles will attach between 2 ribs.

Yup - All the ribs have "bottom" to the bottom!!!

Picture shows the use of kitty litter in bags for weights. The weight can be spread out well using these.



1/21/11- Finally making a start: Laminating the spars from hardwood and balsa (deviation from plans!)


1/4x1/8 hardwood goes full span; laminated to this is 1/4x3/8 hardwood center section (different lengths for top & bottom spars) scarf-joined to 1/4x3/8 balsa outboard sections. Both spars are laminated at the same time.



01/18/10:
Tossing around some ideas "on paper"

 


Dec 2010: Just waiting for the wood!!!

 


RCCD
HOME


Project Home

njh